Celebrate Science will be back again at the end of October, running from Tuesday 29th to Thursday 31st. These 3 fun-packed and fascinating days of free children’s events offer activities, workshops and experiments celebrating science.
‘Celebrate Science’ features a wide range of free science themed activities, including investigations of animal skulls, magnetism and optical illusions. Children will be invited to create inventions and take part in experiments, with University experts on hand to answer queries from visitors on everything from lasers to the Lindisfarne Gospels.
The Foundation Centre are looking to recruit Outreach Ambassadors to volunteer at the Celebrate Science activity.
Participation in these events has several benefits:
- Improved employability skills such as team work, presentation and communication skills and increased self-confidence.
- Broader involvement in student life and contact with other staff, students and departments.
- Engagement with the local community.
- Enhanced subject knowledge.
- Enhanced C.V.
Furthermore, it provides the opportunity to raise awareness and promote the Foundation Centre.
Unable to attend the Celebrate Science activity but wish to become an Outreach Ambassador? There are many opportunities to become involved in outreach activities within the university. These include:
- Durham Schools’ Science Festival. Aimed at Year 9 and 10 (14-15 year old) school students and involving interactive workshops from departments across the University. This year’s event involved over 600 school students from 21 schools.
- Science is Fun. This year’s pilot projects have involved training and support for Undergraduate students in developing and delivering interactive science activities in primary schools.
If you are interested in participating in activities then please email email@example.com to express your interest. Once you have registered your interest you will be invited to a training session with the university outreach team and then invited to participate in events. The deadline for registering your interest for the Celebrate Science activity is Friday 11th October 2013. For other activities, there is no closing date.
This opportunity is open to current and past students of the Foundation Centre.